Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

tune -up a CA77

gideon
honda305.com Member

tune -up a CA77

Post by gideon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 am

Hi everybody, I just got my '62 CA77 running ! It starts up , but then dies after a minute. It needs lots of parts but I don't have lots of $, so I want to get it running and use some "know -how" on it intsead of throwing parts at the problem when I don't know exactly what the problem is !
So far, all I did to it was unstick the motor, hone it a little, lap the valves, ring it , clean the carb , clean all the ignition circuit conections and new plugs.
If I prime it (squirt gas in carb) it fires up. Then it starts to rev out and then cuts out(dies)
The coil does have a worn hole in the metal casong but I wrapped it n cardboard and elec tape! The carb has a busted screw( fast idle?) , but I set the float and its clean as a whistle. There's spark at the spark plugs.
Oh yes, its got major "blow by" and I read in the "tec-nuckle " pages that a bad head gasket can be responsible for that.
So, it needsa $K , but first, I'd like to see if I can't get it running a little betterwith chewing gum and coat hanger wire-
Any tune up tips?
Is it a carb prob or elec? txs,Gideon

ironangel
honda305.com Member

Post by ironangel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:47 am

I would check fuel flow (from tank to carb and carb) sounds like it is leaning out (running out of fuel ) before it quits.

gideon
honda305.com Member

CA77 revving out

Post by gideon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks I-angel; I got new fuel line and filter, but still , it fires up and after appr. 30 secs, it revs up and dies. One thing is that I took the choke off because the gasket material around the lever going into the carb body was all rotted away. I sealed it up against vac leaks , but now , no choke! Also, The right side spark plug fouls up with carbon(too rich, right)but the left side plug stays clean and I don't think it fires much. Oh, you know this is a CA;with 1 carb.Anyhow, thanks for commenting and , what is the next step in trouble shooting? I guess it could still be fuel if the carb isn't performing right. I'd like to get that broken off fast idle adj. screw out and clean that passage, but its broke off flush. What to do ? file a groove in it with what ? I just don't have $ to buy my way out of everything- Ha!Oh , its got 2 screws ; the broken off -I guess "fast idle adj. (?) and another big screw that goes through the carb body and into a groove on the slide-What is it ? I have been screwing around with that one -Ha- trying to get it right . 3 turns -5 turns out ? doesn't seem to do much . One by one, I pull the worms out of the can , but I still don't want a ninja or a moped- now a '70 triumph Bonneville 650- uh, yeah!

ironangel
honda305.com Member

Post by ironangel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

two (2) adjusting screws on carb. Forward one is air screw. Rearward is idle adjust, goes under the slide not into the slide

ironangel
honda305.com Member

Post by ironangel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Let me correct myself the idle adjst screw does go into the tapered slot

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home