Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Speedo interchangability Type Id and Type II

johnbiccum
honda305.com Member

Speedo interchangability Type Id and Type II

Post by johnbiccum » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:36 pm

I have a ’64 Superhawk with the type Id speedometer. On this speedo the needle runs counterclockwise and the tach needle runs clockwise. The speedo face is faded and scratched from the needles and I wanted a replacement.

I picked up a almost new looking type II speedometer from a parts bike. On the type II speedo the speedo needle runs clockwise as does the tach needle. I put this new speedo on the bike. The tach runs fine but the speedo needle bounces between zero and 5 mph.

After some reflection I realized that the new type II speedo is probably just fine but is being driven by the speedo cable counter to it intended direction. I think that the speedo needle is being bounced off its stop.

Is this correct? How can I use this later speedometer? Can I trade out the drive gear to achieve the correct direction of rotation?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Speedo interchangability Type Id and Type II

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:18 am

Replace with the speedo drive made for that speedo. ...............lm

johnbiccum wrote:I have a ’64 Superhawk with the type Id speedometer. On this speedo the needle runs counterclockwise and the tach needle runs clockwise. The speedo face is faded and scratched from the needles and I wanted a replacement.

I picked up a almost new looking type II speedometer from a parts bike. On the type II speedo the speedo needle runs clockwise as does the tach needle. I put this new speedo on the bike. The tach runs fine but the speedo needle bounces between zero and 5 mph.

After some reflection I realized that the new type II speedo is probably just fine but is being driven by the speedo cable counter to it intended direction. I think that the speedo needle is being bounced off its stop.

Is this correct? How can I use this later speedometer? Can I trade out the drive gear to achieve the correct direction of rotation?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:11 pm

I have a nicely refurbished drive for later speedo, PM me if interested.

davomoto

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home