Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

aluminum cl77 gas tank

rquenzler
honda305.com Member

aluminum cl77 gas tank

Post by rquenzler » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:29 pm

I just bought a 1967 cl77 scrambler and it has an aluminum gas tank and Monza style gas cap on it, the exhaust pipe also has two baffles at the end of them, 1 on each pipe that you turn a knob and it restricts or opens up the exhaust, does any one know if these are factory options or after market pieces, did they make a race version or parts for these cl77, does the tank or pipes have any value. thank you

TDF
honda305.com Member

Post by TDF » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Can't comment on the tank, but the baffles on the end of the pipe was an extremely commonly done alteration. Often called "snuff-or-nots" (at least in this part of the country. Owner pulled the original muffler and added the baffles in himself most likely. I've got two sets of pipes similarly modified.

TDF

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: aluminum cl77 gas tank

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:32 pm

The ALUMINUM TANK is a HONDA part not a production line issue but purchased from the dealers.
The Snuf or Nots are a after market part which we used to go riding in the dirt/back woods and not need a wrench to get the most power from the engine. ...............lm

rquenzler wrote:I just bought a 1967 cl77 scrambler and it has an aluminum gas tank and Monza style gas cap on it, the exhaust pipe also has two baffles at the end of them, 1 on each pipe that you turn a knob and it restricts or opens up the exhaust, does any one know if these are factory options or after market pieces, did they make a race version or parts for these cl77, does the tank or pipes have any value. thank you

Rickytic
honda305.com Member

Post by Rickytic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:54 am

rquenzler,
If you don't want the snuff-or-nots, don't throw them away, I might be interested. They make repops but the price is way up there for what they are and I have been looking for a set for my bike.

Thanks.

Rickytic

Rickytic
honda305.com Member

Post by Rickytic » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:58 am

By the way, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people on here that are extremely knowledgable and very willing to take the time to share that knowledge. If you put where you are from there may be somebody that lives fairly clost to you to help you more.

Rickytic

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home