Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Running Perfectly Last Weekend, Now Trouble

adriennevy
honda305.com Member

Running Perfectly Last Weekend, Now Trouble

Post by adriennevy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Last Sunday I took my boyfriend out on my 65 CB77 for a day ride (he's 6'3", I'm 5'6", it's humerous,) and we were probably on the road for about 4 hours. She was running perfectly, and even performed well on the freeway at high speeds. Then I got home and parked. Today I gave her a bath and tonight my boyfriend went to take her out for a ride and texted me when he was trying to start it up. "Trying to kick this thing is making me want to barf." He's new to riding and just got his license, so it didn't strike me as odd because it's an old bike and it was his first time starting it on his own. I, too, in the past have felt like barfing with the physical exertion it takes to start it up, especially at night, and especially after dinner. Then he calls me a few minutes later. "Umm... if it's dying when I try to put it in first gear, what am I doing wrong?" I go down there to check it out and the bike is definitely acting odd.

Now, let me just say that I recently had the guys over at Charlie's Place in SF (so sad they just moved to LA!) go through my bike completely. I really went for it and did practically everything they suggested, including an electric ignition, new spark plugs and cables, new coils.... the works. The only thing I didn't do is get new pipes, as the ones I have are aftermarket. SO... on to the troubles.

One odd thing I noticed is that usually when kicking it, the kick lever rebounds back into place easily. This time, it was sluggish to come back, if it came back at all. And if we were lucky enough to get it started, it could idle a bit, but would die eventually. Also, the left pipe was backfiring a bunch. I tried messing with the idle screws, as my carbs can never stay 100% tuned, but I couldn't keep it on long enough to really work them out. At one point I got it to stay on long enough to put it into first and ride up the street and back, but once I grabbed my helmet to take it around the block, it died again. After that, all the kicking in the world couldn't start it. It didn't feel like the kick was even doing much. The chug of the engine was weak with each kick.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I just put almost $2k into her at the shop a couple months ago, and I'm not ready to do it again. I should also mention that I keep it on a trickle charger, so starting it shouldn't be THAT hard.

Thanks!

adriennevy
honda305.com Member

Post by adriennevy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 am

I've been reading through old posts and thinking... could moisture be the problem? I found a post about superhawks and the rain, and I DID give it a bath today.

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 am

Hi,

I suspect that a CB77, upgraded with 2K on labor and parts (by a professional) is not sensitive for moisture.

If any engine is having difficulty's in running, it misses one of the three basic ingredients, being mixture, spark (on time) and compression. If I where you I would check if these ingredients are there.

Let the bike dry in the sun or a heated garage, if it's a moisture problem, the problem will go.

The kick starter mechanism of a CB77 is vulnerable for abuse. I, personally, never would a newbie to bikes (and especially classics) even come near the bike without my supervision. People who are not "connected" with the bike see it as an unwilling object, and get angry at it, until they give up or the object gives up, I have seen this many times. I don't know if this is the case, but if a bike won't start, just analyze the problem ( there's a reason for it), instead of trying to start it again and again.

If the outer parts of the kick starter mechanism are ok, the problem is inside the engine, take the kick starter side cover off, and check the mechanism, especially the kick starter spring.

I have to go now, celebrating the inauguration of King Willem Alexander (our queen Beatrix will step down today),

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

sarals
honda305.com Member

Post by sarals » Thu May 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi, I tend to think your electronic ignition may have gotten wet. The symptoms sounded to me like ignition. Moisture raised my antenna! Have you gotten to the bottom of it yet?
1965 CB77 305 Super Hawk
1989 NT650 Hawk GT
1981 Yamaha XJ550 Seca

Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

Post by Snakeoil » Mon May 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Interesting how this thread just kinda died. I just noticed it and "washing the bike" jumped out at me, too.

Just because someone spends a bunch on a bike does not mean a bunch was done. Could still have the old coils and wires. My CL77 drove me nuts. I went thru every connection in the ignition and all was well. I replaced the plug wires with new and all starting and running on one jug issues went away.

As for letting her newbie boyfiend ride her vintage bike, no surprise there. Weren't you ever young? I let more than one new girlfriend drive my Vette when I was a kid. You'll do crazy things to fulfill certain needs, if you catch my drift.

Now that I'm an old phardt, I'd sooner let someone take my wife on a date than let them ride one of my vintage bikes. Priorities certainly do change with time. And I was only jokin' about the date ;-)

regards,
Rob

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home