□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Badge Question

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 am

Okay, I have a little progress made on the badge reproduction. Here's the deal: I need to send a badge to the factory. I have two, but they're on my bike, and I'm really not excited about going without them for the next month or so.

Does anybody have an extra badge (or even both sides) that I can borrow for a while? I can promise two things:

1) You'll get it back. Trust me.
2) If the price is good and I proceed with the project, you'll get a free set when they ship.

-phil

flathead
honda305.com Member

Post by flathead » Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 am

What is it with this “ I think somebody’s gonna make a buck” mentality?
GET REAL!!!!

Do you people not realize that the quality vendors, which you have so many problems with their prices, have invested their expertise, time, and money to provide “US” with the solutions to our problems. This is how these guys make their livelihood. They eat, sleep, and drink what we consider our “Hobby”. So what if a chain guard is 150 bucks or a set of badges are 50. Just how many sets do you need?
If we don’t support the vendors that support us, we eventually will lose all the valuable resources they supply.
This habit ain’t for the cheap. If you aren’t willing to pay the price…….. take up knitting.

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Thu May 29, 2008 12:13 pm

flathead wrote:If you aren’t willing to pay the price…….. take up knitting.
Or do it yourself.

A reasonable markup is between 1 and 2 times your cost. The tank badges are, AT MOST, with tooling amortized in, a $1.50 piece. So that's $3.00. So put a margin on that to cover your overhead and you're talking a $10-$15 sell price for 2 pieces.

$50-$200 badges is called profiteering, plain and simple. People who charge that kind of markup are taking advantage of people who have no other way of getting them. They could probably charge $500 and some people would pay.

By the way, I don't even need badges; I'm just trying to help and maybe raise a couple bucks so I can buy $800 repro mufflers, so go f$&k yourself.

Gun
honda305.com Member

Post by Gun » Thu May 29, 2008 12:24 pm

milwaukeephil wrote:
flathead wrote:If you aren’t willing to pay the price…….. take up knitting.
Or do it yourself.

A reasonable markup is between 1 and 2 times your cost. The tank badges are, AT MOST, with tooling amortized in, a $1.50 piece. So that's $3.00. So put a margin on that to cover your overhead and you're talking a $10-$15 sell price for 2 pieces.

$50-$200 badges is called profiteering, plain and simple. People who charge that kind of markup are taking advantage of people who have no other way of getting them. They could probably charge $500 and some people would pay.

By the way, I don't even need badges; I'm just trying to help and maybe raise a couple bucks so I can buy $800 repro mufflers, so go f$&k yourself.
yeah, it's not my primary concern to pay a 300x mark up to a buisness that might be trying to make up for the fact that their target market isn't as populated as they thought it would be. and likewise, these guys probabaly aren't too worried about my painting sales when they buy a poster, or do vinyl taping instead of hiring me for airbrush work. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little do it yourself. Hell, anyone who does isn't right in my book.
'65 CB77
'66 CB450k0
'93 HD FXR

McFloobles
honda305.com Member

Post by McFloobles » Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 am

Hello All,

did this ever go anywhere? I would be very keen to go in on any venture like this.

eyedragaknee
honda305.com Member

Going anywhere?

Post by eyedragaknee » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 pm

I think once the OP finds out how much work it is for so little reward or compassion for the time spent, it will die off.

Too bad.

It can be done. I work some things into containers myself, but I'd pay 50 bucks for a good repo set just to not have to screw with it all.

milwaukeephil
honda305.com Member

Post by milwaukeephil » Tue May 12, 2009 9:01 am

Actually, I'm ready to go, have the factory lined up to do them for a couple bucks a set, but there are two snags.

#1 is that I need to send a set of badges over. I don't have any spares, and the ones on my bike are nowhere near perfect.

#2 Minimum order would be about 500 sets. That's not the qty that would make it worth it, it's the qty that needs to be ordered to get the factory's attention. If I knew I could sell 500 sets, I'd front the cash and do it. More likely, I'd sell about 50. In other words, the market isn't really there.

If I had 300 pre-orders, I'd do it and hope to sell the rest on eBay.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home