Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

1966 ca77 Transmission/Clutch Issues

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
kenkah
honda305.com Member

1966 ca77 Transmission/Clutch Issues

Post by kenkah » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm having some trouble with my clutch/transmission on my 1966 CA77. I am not familiar with clutches or transmissions and I just don't know where to start and don't want to rip more apart then I need to. The problem I'm having is that when I pull in the clutch and go to shift into gear I hear a grinding/clicking noise. I thought the clutch might not be engaging enough so I had tried to adjust the clutch both at the handle and the case with the same result. I know I'm probably gonna have to pull the cover off but what should I be looking for? Is this something where I need to get into the clutch plates and examine them?

The bike has been sitting for quite a few years. I did change the oil and I've got the motor running but I think I need to do some tweaking on that. The transmission/clutch issue is really the last thing I need to get worked out before she's ready to take for a ride.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: 1966 ca77 Transmission/Clutch Issues

Post by rzgkane » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Does the noise result from the action of pulling the clutch lever? Or as you are attempting to shift?
kenkah wrote:I'm having some trouble with my clutch/transmission on my 1966 CA77. I am not familiar with clutches or transmissions and I just don't know where to start and don't want to rip more apart then I need to. The problem I'm having is that when I pull in the clutch and go to shift into gear I hear a grinding/clicking noise. I thought the clutch might not be engaging enough so I had tried to adjust the clutch both at the handle and the case with the same result. I know I'm probably gonna have to pull the cover off but what should I be looking for? Is this something where I need to get into the clutch plates and examine them?

The bike has been sitting for quite a few years. I did change the oil and I've got the motor running but I think I need to do some tweaking on that. The transmission/clutch issue is really the last thing I need to get worked out before she's ready to take for a ride.

kenkah
honda305.com Member

Post by kenkah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 am

The noise is when I try to shift an dit does not go into any gears. It does shift into gear when the bike is not running.

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Post by rzgkane » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 am

Hmm. Sounds like the clutch plates are stuck together so the clutch is never truly disengaged even with the lever pulled. Common for an old bike that's been sitting. Try starting the bike while it is in gear but with the clutch lever pulled. If the bike wants to lurch, your plates are stuck.

Some guys have tricks to unstick the plates without removing the side cover but I can't remember the specifics.

kenkah wrote:The noise is when I try to shift an dit does not go into any gears. It does shift into gear when the bike is not running.

kenkah
honda305.com Member

Post by kenkah » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 pm

If the clutch disks are stuck together what is the method of unsticking them with removing the side cover?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:26 pm

YA must remove the cover, spring bolts then remove the plates ya can and if the wires are still there remove them.
When ya have all the plates out I recommend ya use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to remove any rust or if ya don't have one us 100+- grit to break the rust. . ...........lm

kenkah wrote:If the clutch disks are stuck together what is the method of unsticking them with removing the side cover?

kenkah
honda305.com Member

Post by kenkah » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks loud mouse. Gonna try that tomorrow if I get a chance. I did the test of putting it in gear and using the kickstart. Sure enough it lurched forward. Anything else I should look for while i'm in there besides where on the disks?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home