Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Stuck Clutch..... CA77

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
RachelAustin
honda305.com Member

Stuck Clutch..... CA77

Post by RachelAustin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm

So I just got my 68 CA77 running again yesterday after installing new spark plug wires to the original coil. Boo to crispy innards in original wires. So everything is running perfect and sounds great......

Maiden Voyage down the driveway........ Clutch is stuck. Of course. Now here's where I am.... and it's completely possible that I'm 100% wrong..... but it seems like it's probably the plates stuck together? The clutch lever moves freely, the cable doesn't seem to be seized........ I can shift into every gear but by speed shifting as the lever will not cause them to release. I'm not trying to tear up the trans. and being that it sat in a museum for quite some time..... these signs point to corrosion on the plates or just gunked up, right? If this could be anything else.... or if there is something super obvious that I'm overlooking..... any right direction pointing would be much appreciated. Maybe the spring(s) have gone bad and not taking pressure off them? Eh....

So also, If I were to take the cover off to get to the plates and free/clean them up(assuming & hoping that they just need to be cleaned up) would brake cleaner or gum cutter be a viable method? Or how does one go about sprucing them up?
-Rachel
1965 CA95
1968 CA77
1974 TX500 *sold*
1964 Puch SG

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Sound like they are stuck which is pretty much typical for a bike that has sat.Some bead blast the metal plates since they may be crusty.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Take them apart carefully and clean them with brake cleaner. You can bead blast or sand the metal plates.
If the friction plates are metal with friction material attached, you have the good ones and they are worth saving if they are not too worn.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

RachelAustin
honda305.com Member

Post by RachelAustin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:57 pm

What media should be used? Glass, sand, walnut.... doesn't matter?

Brewsky, when you seperated your original ones did you have any luck with saving any, or you just replaced the whole lot?

This is a dumb.... no.... Lazy question (as my parts manual is up in the garage and I'm sure I'll look in just a few minutes, but...) the CA clutch plates and the CB clutch plates are the same? or completely not?

Thanks everyone..... as I'm still trying to achieve "Novice Mechanic". ha.
-Rachel
1965 CA95
1968 CA77
1974 TX500 *sold*
1964 Puch SG

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:01 am

Actually, you can use a wire brush on the steel plates if you don't have a blaster.
For the frictions, wipe with brake cleaner.
Separate the discs very carefully by working around the each one till they are loose all the way around. If they are all fiber, they will snap in two easily if you don't.
The last couple of plates may be secured by thin wires (look like large thin circlips) which help them separate when the clutch is depressed. They are hard to see if you are not watching for them.
The ends of these circlips are inserted in small holes in the clutch hub and can be removed by pushing up from the inside.
One steel plate will be thicker than the others, make sure you note the order they are removed.
Good luck!
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home