Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kick start issues

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive this dead thread, but I am having some kickstarter problems, myself! Here are the things I've done:

-I installed the kick lever to the splined gear with the punches lined up.
-I aligned the punches on the two counter-rotating gears inside the R. side cover.
-The "O's" line up with the kick lever at about 2 o'clock.
-Turned the starter shaft clockwise until it stops.
-Installed the R. side cover with the "O's" on the gears lined up.

With this done, the kick lever flops forward and the spring seems to be pulling it that direction, as well. There is zero resistance between the stops. ALL MARKS ARE LINED UP, so that's not it. With the R. side cover off, I can turn the starter shaft between the stops, which appear to be about 180 degrees apart, or so. There is NO resistance in there. If I put the bike in gear, the starter shaft is 100% locked in place.

What am I doing wrong? With my electric starter clutch failed, the bike has no means of starting and I'd LOVE to get it out of the shop. Any help appreciated!

Video of my issue:

https://youtu.be/wd6LZzu7g5Y

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Might the kickstarter spring be installed incorrectly? When looking at the spring from the sprocket's point of view, it should spiral inwards in a clockwise direction from the locating bolt. Has it ever worked properly? Perhaps a severely worn starter pawl, requiring splitting the cases for R&R. Regards, Chase

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Well I sure hope it isn't the pawl. Can someone just tell me if the spring should be pushing the starter forward or pulling it back? Should I feel some form of resistance as it swings between stops with the bike in neutral?

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:16 pm

I watched your video and I think your spring is on backwards. When I install that cover, I hook my thumb over the kickstart lever to hold it to the right, under spring tension. If not, it would flop to the left.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:14 pm

MBellRacing wrote:Well I sure hope it isn't the pawl. Can someone just tell me if the spring should be pushing the starter forward or pulling it back? Should I feel some form of resistance as it swings between stops with the bike in neutral?
Once you've turned the splined shaft all the way clockwise, you should only have about 15 degrees counterclockwise play in it, not 180 degrees. That's why I mentioned the pawl. It can be compared to the sprag in an automatic transmission, or a ratchet mechanism, that determines the engagement direction from a driving force. It should have made a ratchet-type clicking noise when you turned it clockwise, The kickstart return spring should pull the kick lever counterclockwise to about 9:00 o'clock when the cover is removed from the engine and the lever is released. When you preload the lever clockwise to 2:00 for installation, the spring should exert a counterclockwise force. Regards, Chase

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Well there's NONE of that ratchet sound. Anything else you think I can do without separating cases?

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:35 pm

It seems to be time to rebuild the electric starter clutch with new rollers, springs, and caps. Make sure the housing on the back of the rotor is not cracked near the rollers. Or, use the good ol' run and bump. Thanks, Chase

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home