Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

transmition problems please help!

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:23 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:SPINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT:: "knock pin"... Ok, i remember what a knock pin is... No we are talking about two different things. this has nothing to do with the knock pin's

Funny, this time I thought I was being clever by calling it by the part name from the book :) The spindle in the book, is the shaft that skewer the gears, one end you mount the kick peddle, and the other end has the plate that holds the "spindle pole" (a free floating tooth like piece that spins inside of of the low gear). This little tooth looks like the letter B and is held in with a spring with a nub on the end of it...

I found my camera cable so here are the photos, this will help :)

If you notice in the photo of the crank case you will see that something is busted off. I think this was a lip that disengages the spindle pole from the low gear.

I have to run to work. thanks for the help, sorry for the confusion earlier. A photo speaks a thousand words :)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 pm

I've never seen that parts pic. The KS Pawl does fit into 1st gear and all trans parts must be in case correctly. The large bearings on the other shaft are not installed correctly.
Where is broken located? ...........emo

cooper wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:SPINDLE!!!!!!!!!!!
EDIT:: "knock pin"... Ok, i remember what a knock pin is... No we are talking about two different things. this has nothing to do with the knock pin's

Funny, this time I thought I was being clever by calling it by the part name from the book :) The spindle in the book, is the shaft that skewer the gears, one end you mount the kick peddle, and the other end has the plate that holds the "spindle pole" (a free floating tooth like piece that spins inside of of the low gear). This little tooth looks like the letter B and is held in with a spring with a nub on the end of it...

I found my camera cable so here are the photos, this will help :)

If you notice in the photo of the crank case you will see that something is busted off. I think this was a lip that disengages the spindle pole from the low gear.

I have to run to work. thanks for the help, sorry for the confusion earlier. A photo speaks a thousand words :)

RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Just to make sure, is this ratcheting mechanism what you are calling the KS-pawl?

The break is located on the inside of the bottom half of the crank case just between the resting points for both shafts. Refer to the photo below. You will notice that it looks as if something has been sheered off, where I have circled in red.

Now judging based on how I perceived the "ks pawl" to work. It needs a KS stop, it needs to be able to grab the low gear that it fits into, and it also needs to disengage so that the low gear can spin without spinning the ks-shaft.

My problem is that the ks-pawl will NOT disengage, and this makes the whole transmission hangup.

when you kick the motor over the pawl will engage the low gear, turn the engine over, the stop on the KS-stop bolt. when you let it go it spins back using the KS-spring and rest on (something) that disengages the KS-pawl so that it wont grab the low gear.

when I inspected further I noticed the sheer break on the lower half of the engine casing. I am convinced until I am told otherwise that this lip that has been broken off is the piece that disengages the KS-pawl.

Am I correct in this or am I way off base?

also, are you sure those bearings are in wrong? I referenced this photo last night to make sure everything was in the correct place. Image

and here is my photo:

splitenz
honda305.com Member

Post by splitenz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm

I think you have to have the assembly/pawl & shaft in a certain position when you put the cases together... gave me trouble the first time.. trying to figure out what the issue was I had without digging out the spare motor to check it out..
'63 CL72

cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:49 pm

I guess to simplify... How does the ratcheting/pawl assembly disengage the gear? Does the KS-stop bolt depress the pawl/tooth? or is there something else the depresses the pawl/tooth to make it disengage the gear?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Where is the location of the broken part??????????. ...........lm
cooper wrote:I guess to simplify... How does the ratcheting/pawl assembly disengage the gear? Does the KS-stop bolt depress the pawl/tooth? or is there something else the depresses the pawl/tooth to make it disengage the gear?
RIDE IT DON'T HIDE IT!

cooper
honda305.com Member

Post by cooper » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:34 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:Where is the location of the broken part??????????. ...........lm
LM- I think you may have missed my last post on page one. I quoted a section from it blow. If you missed this post I go into detail about the problem.

The break is located on the inside of the bottom half of the crank case just between the resting points for both shafts. Refer to the photo below. You will notice that it looks as if something has been sheered off, where I have circled in red.

I believe that what ever was sheered/broken off is what disengages the ratchet/pawl? yes/no?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home