Admirers

Intermittent kickstart engagement

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
dreamr
honda305.com Member

Intermittent kickstart engagement

Post by dreamr » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 pm

I've searched posts for this problem.
There are times where my kickstart works fine, times where it doesn't enagage at all, and times where it stops engaging about 3/4 of the way thru the kick. If it doesn't engage at all, rolling the bike slightly while in gear seems to make it go back to working.
I'm having problems deciphering the shop drawing that shows the spindle and pawl area to figure out how it works. Somehow, the pawl is spring loaded, correct? Is this spring not working properly or should I be looking elsewhere for the cause of this problem. If the spindle bushing were worn, the kickstarter wouldn't work at all, would it?
More often than not, the kickstarter works fine but it does get cranky at times (no pun intended). Thanks.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Intermittent kickstart engagement

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Your PAWL is badly warn and will require replacing.
Ya can get to it without yanking the head/cylinders off.
Turn the engine on it's top and split the cases and you will find the PAWL in first gear.
Have fun. ....................lm

dreamr wrote:I've searched posts for this problem.
There are times where my kickstart works fine, times where it doesn't enagage at all, and times where it stops engaging about 3/4 of the way thru the kick. If it doesn't engage at all, rolling the bike slightly while in gear seems to make it go back to working.
I'm having problems deciphering the shop drawing that shows the spindle and pawl area to figure out how it works. Somehow, the pawl is spring loaded, correct? Is this spring not working properly or should I be looking elsewhere for the cause of this problem. If the spindle bushing were worn, the kickstarter wouldn't work at all, would it?
More often than not, the kickstarter works fine but it does get cranky at times (no pun intended). Thanks.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home