Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kick Start will not Engage

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
CBill77
honda305.com Member

Kick Start will not Engage

Post by CBill77 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Replaced my CB77 clutch cable, and found the clutch plates needed to be replaced. Pulled both covers for this work. As I put it back together, the Kick Start will engage if the cover is loose, but when the fasteners are tightened, the kick start crank just has resistance, but does not turn over the engine. If I kick fast, I will see a little movement. Any advise here. Thanks

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: Kick Start will not Engage

Post by rzgkane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Wild ass guess here but maybe your clutch is disengaging as you bolt down the side cover because the thread (the thing behind the large, slotted circular deal on the right side cover) is out of adjustment? You need the clutch to be engaged for the kick start to work. Won't work with the clutch lever pulled.

When you are tightening down the right cover you are pressing the clutch thread against the actuating rod that runs from the right cover through the motor and into the clutch pack on the left side, thereby disengaging the clutch. You might try loosening the 10mm bolt that holds the adjuster body in place, and turning the large slotted deal counter-clockwise to back the tread off and see what happens.
CBill77 wrote:Replaced my CB77 clutch cable, and found the clutch plates needed to be replaced. Pulled both covers for this work. As I put it back together, the Kick Start will engage if the cover is loose, but when the fasteners are tightened, the kick start crank just has resistance, but does not turn over the engine. If I kick fast, I will see a little movement. Any advise here. Thanks
1965 CA77Dream

CBill77
honda305.com Member

Post by CBill77 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 pm

I will try the clutch adjustment. Thanks for the help. I have had this bike for 30 years, and never dug this deep into the mechanics. It is just is so dependable.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Do you know all the slack to set then adjust from that.
How bout you add your location to your profile. ........lm
CBill77 wrote:I will try the clutch adjustment. Thanks for the help. I have had this bike for 30 years, and never dug this deep into the mechanics. It is just is so dependable.

CBill77
honda305.com Member

Post by CBill77 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm

Yes, I do know about the slack adjustment from other posts. That is the next step. Learned a lot from this site. Thanks

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Enough to give your location in your profile?. ............lm
CBill77 wrote:Yes, I do know about the slack adjustment from other posts. That is the next step. Learned a lot from this site. Thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home