Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Bent Shifter on CL77!

Clutch, Transmission, Drive Chain, Sprockets
RedlightG20
honda305.com Member

Bent Shifter on CL77!

Post by RedlightG20 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 am

So I was driving my '66 CL77 around the neighborhood and stopping every minute or two to adjust the clutch cable to get rid of the clutch slipping. As I pulled into my driveway, turned the bike off and set the bike up on the kickstand, I started walking away to bring some tools inside. Then I heard a crash!

I turned around and the bike had fallen down on its left side. Doh! I've never had a bike fall down on me after putting the kickstand out, but I guess I wasn't very careful this time.

Anyway, there is really no damage to the bike since most of it fell into the soft grass (thankfully), but I did notice that the shift lever could not shift upward due to it being bent inward, and it hits the gearbox.

If I pull the shift lever outward from the bike just slightly (I think there is naturally a mm of leeway), there is enough room for the end of the lever to move up and down freely, so the end of the lever is just a few mm off.

Is there any way to fix this? I suppose I could bend it back into place, as it doesn't require much of an adjustment. Maybe throw the shift lever into the oven for a little bit to heat it up then bend it back slightly? I've looked on the internet for a replacement shift lever but so far haven't had much luck.

banksc1970
honda305.com Member

Post by banksc1970 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:48 am

Redlight,
New arm is available from OhioCycle.com, but you may just try to bend that one back as you previously stated. Part number below:

CB72/77 24711-268-030 GEAR SHIFTER ARM $27.00

Here is a link to their catalog page:
http://www.ohiocycle.com/catalog2.html

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:19 pm

My son learned a trick from a guy at the motorcycle shop. It was for bent hand levers, but will also work for other things. If you want to straighten it, place the part on a bench, both ends need to be touching the bench. Use a rubber or deadblow hammer to remove the bend. The important part is to have both ends on the bench. If you don't, it may break. I have tried this and it works.

Gunner

RedlightG20
honda305.com Member

Post by RedlightG20 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'll try to bend it back tomorrow and report back.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:18 pm

As it is cast iron a good heating with a torch at the bend will allow ya to bend it and may not fracture the part. .......lm

RedlightG20 wrote:Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'll try to bend it back tomorrow and report back.

RedlightG20
honda305.com Member

Post by RedlightG20 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Alright so I went ahead and tried the oven trick. Heated the shift arm for about 25-30 minutes, then took it to the garage and gave it a couple of gentle whacks with a rubber mallet. Got it bent right back to where it should be and works great!

LM-- I can see how a torch would really help keep the shape of the arm if done with care, as it naturally has a curve to it. Hitting it with the mallet flattened it out just slightly, but is hardly noticeable. Had I had the tools, I would have gone the torch route.

Thanks guys!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home