Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Exhaust Question?

derekephillips
honda305.com Member

Exhaust Question?

Post by derekephillips » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Recently got a 65 CL77. Working on getting it road worthy. Was adjusting the carbs today and noticed that the exhaust coming out of the left side was cold and had very little air flow, the exhaust coming from the right side was very hot and had very good air flow. The bike sounds ok and runs ok, there was some backfiring before I adjusted the carbs, but that's gone now. Puzzled about the exhaust though. This is my first bike so don't know much about them. I have experience working on cars but never bikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gunner_CAF
honda305.com Member

Post by Gunner_CAF » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 pm

Cold exhaust means that side isn't firing. You must be running on one cylinder. It will sound even better when fireing on both :)

Gunner

mike horvath
honda305.com Member

Post by mike horvath » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:48 am

derek,
I agree with Gunner. Possible that restriction in the jetting may be the culprit especially if the bike had been sitting for any extended period of time with fuel in the bowls. easy enough to yank the carbs flip em over and extract the jets for cleaning.
hope it works out for you.

Mike

derekephillips
honda305.com Member

Post by derekephillips » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:22 am

Thanks for the info gunner and mike. I will be taking my carbs off and sending them to Loud Mouse for a rebuild this week. Hope that fix's the prob. I thought that might be it. I just recently inherited the bike from my grandfather. It has been sitting for the past 28 years. I cleaned the fuel tank and petcock and changed the oil and plugs and set the points. Haven't rebuilt the carbs yet's. Next on my to do list.
Thanks Gunner and Mike!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home