Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream brakes ain't so dreamy......

paulie
honda305.com Member

Dream brakes ain't so dreamy......

Post by paulie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:16 am

I have a 65 dream 305 and the brakes are just nasty to say the least! At first I thought about re-lining the shoes with a more aggressive compound, like Ferodo green lining, but, my thoughts are turning towards using a 2 leading shoe brake on the front like what the super hawk has. Anyone ever done this before? If the backing plate fit in the stock hub it would be perfect!! If not, I'll have to lace up the superhawk hub to the dream rim. Any thoughts?

For the record, I ride my bikes and I enjoy making them better, but still appear to be original-ish.

paulie
honda305.com Member

Post by paulie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:28 am

If someone has a a dual leading shoe drum from a superhawk or other Honda, could you post the diameter of the backing plate and of the shoes attached to the plate? Also the width of the shoes would be perfect.
Thanks

sdaigle240
honda305.com Member

Post by sdaigle240 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:25 pm

IIRC there is a thread on here where someone was actually able to fit SH wheels and hubs on a dream, and i believe it was for similar reasons as yours. i cant recall what kind of issues/comprimises the wheel sizes caused but that may be a simpler solution.

I agree, my 65 dream brakes are far from great despite having plenty of meat, but if you can lock them up (you cant?) then "more" brakes isnt the answer. cool project and i hope you plan to update this thread with your findings!
Steve
CA78 65?
CB77 65?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Paulie, the CB77 brake plate is quite a bit larger. You would have to use the hub as well. and have spokes custom made if you want to retain the 16" wheel. Possibly CB or SL350 might be same diameter, and are dual leading shoe.

davomoto

paulie
honda305.com Member

Post by paulie » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:25 pm

I was thinking about getting a different hub to lace up to the 16" rim. I don't want to change the handling of the old girl, so larger diameter wheels aren't in the cards. The single leading shoe brakes just don't offer up much for feel, you just squeeze and squeeze, until they lock up! The dual leading shoe brakes work so much better. I had a 4 leading shoe on my old vintage racer (T500) that worked almost as good as a disc, but still retained that "old" look. Thanks for the help guys!

ps; I'm new to the Honda dreams, but have been riding for 23 years and vintage racing for 6. I've always had a thing for the old pressed steel framed early japanese stuff, so was quite glad to find the 1965 dream 305 with only 11000 miles. Also got 3 boxes of parts and a complete parts machine. Great info on this forum guys!!

jdbenly
honda305.com Member

Dreamy brakes

Post by jdbenly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:20 pm

For pic's of CB77 brakes on CA77, go to restoration projects and find poor mans dream

jdbenly
honda305.com Member

Dreamy brakes

Post by jdbenly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Paulie, My ex boss has a hobby farm on the Bay of Fundy, and wants me to repair his farm tractor. If and when I get there, I would like to connect and see what you have.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home