Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Front & Rear general questions

Fastwater
honda305.com Member

Front & Rear general questions

Post by Fastwater » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:20 pm

1964 Superhawk CP77
I am 5'10" and 135lbs (this will make sense later)

I beautiful day today gave me a chance to change the fork oil and do a minor tune up. As I took her for a quick run I realized that the bouncy suspension wasn't do to insufficient fork oil as I originally suspected. I put 200cc (7.1 oz) as I always do, but still the front forks leave me bottoming out on big bumps and slightly rocking as I come to a stop. The rear aren't much better. The seals don't leak and I emptied out the correct amount. I wonder if it is just the nature of forty year old technology? I'm a bit of a purest so I would like to avoid after-market. I'm not a "big guy" and would have expected something a little better. They don't seem to be damaged but just sub par.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to the existing parts to help on these bumpy New York streets.

Cheers!
Attachments
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0931.jpg

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Front & Rear general questions

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:10 pm

What weight oik?. .............emo
Fastwater wrote:1964 Superhawk CP77
I am 5'10" and 135lbs (this will make sense later)

I beautiful day today gave me a chance to change the fork oil and do a minor tune up. As I took her for a quick run I realized that the bouncy suspension wasn't do to insufficient fork oil as I originally suspected. I put 200cc (7.1 oz) as I always do, but still the front forks leave me bottoming out on big bumps and slightly rocking as I come to a stop. The rear aren't much better. The seals don't leak and I emptied out the correct amount. I wonder if it is just the nature of forty year old technology? I'm a bit of a purest so I would like to avoid after-market. I'm not a "big guy" and would have expected something a little better. They don't seem to be damaged but just sub par.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to the existing parts to help on these bumpy New York streets.

Cheers!

Fastwater
honda305.com Member

Post by Fastwater » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 pm

SAE 30

You thinking I should go with something less viscous?

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:26 pm

You can try a heavier weight oil in forks, and or add a spacer to stiffen fork springs. Start with a 1/2 inch long spacer in each side, and go longer untill it feels right. This will make the forks rebound faster, so you will need a heavier oil. For the rear, I've had excellent luck with redwing rear shocks. They're on ebay often, and really affordable. The handling difference is impressive, and the won't bottom out over a matchbook. Here's a link to a set on ebay now.

davomoto

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REDWING- ... 240%3A1318

Fastwater
honda305.com Member

Post by Fastwater » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Brilliant! I'll give it a try in the morning.

Lemme now if you're ever on the East Coast!
I may owe you a beer.

Cheers.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:38 pm

That's what I use with no problems. (weigh 230 pounds). ...........lm
Fastwater wrote:SAE 30

You thinking I should go with something less viscous?

deez
honda305.com Member

Post by deez » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:51 am

a fastwater did that trick help the front forks from bottoming out? i have had the same problem occur a couple of times today.
-cheers
-deez

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home