Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

rear brake stopper/swingarm connection

primer63
honda305.com Member

Nuts and bolts, driving me nuts!

Post by primer63 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 am

Bob750 wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm having my own issue with this sub-assembly.

On our early '64 Dream 305, we have the rear brake panel with the recessed hex on the inside, but the shouldered bolt that would go there can't clear the wheel hub. This bike had two similar bolts that only differed in length. I used the short one at the swingarm end and when I tried to install the panel end bolt, it wouldn't clear the wheel hub. It's possible that the shorter one would work at the panel, but the longer one wouldn't work properly at the swingarm. I guess I could remove the short one and test it at the panel, but my cotter pin is so nicely secured... :-/

Since I can't be sure the bolts in question that came on this bike are correct, can anyone say which part number is for the shorter one or the longer one?

I'm pretty sure the long bolt will work on the panel if I remove the axle bolt, drop the spacer away, pull the brake panel out, put the bolt in from the back, and put it all back together. I guess that's what I'll try tomorrow. Seems like a strange requirement to put that bolt in... Any other thoughts?
Have encountered this exact situation on my '61. I read somewhere here in the forum that there were three different hub assemblies from early to late models. The armature that connects the frame tabs to the left side brake hub tab is affected by what I think is different offsets across the model years. As for the placement of the bolts, the '65 assembly that I robbed had the frame tab bolt head out and cotter pin in. The hub bolt is head in from behind the tab and the nut to he outside. Cotter pin out. I had to do exactly as you described to get the hub bolt in from the back because the spokes on the rim block access.

It would help if we all used pictures. I think I'm going to start compressing all my build documentation pictures so I can upload them when I travel, or start a flickr account as Mr. Stoic has suggested. And then link to those flickr pics.
Trust, but verify. -Ronald Reagan

1970 CT70, 1979 CB550
1999 ZG1000 Concours
1961 Dream Sport, 1965 Dream Touring
1997 BMW R1100RT

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:52 am

Heh! I also ended up doing as I described... It wasn't that much of a pain; I thought it would be harder. I'm happy with it. Here's the front and back.

(The missing chunk from the lower brake panel happened under previous management.)

Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

primer63
honda305.com Member

Missing chunk

Post by primer63 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:24 am

Coincidentally, my hub is missing a chunk as well. PO even saved the broken piece. I wonder if that results from prior disassemblers attempting to remove the bolt with force before they realized the spokes blocked removal.

1970 CT70, 1979 CB550
1999 ZG1000 Concours
1997 BMW R1100RT

primer63
honda305.com Member

Brake hub to frame bar

Post by primer63 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Bob750 wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm having my own issue with this sub-assembly.

On our early '64 Dream 305, we have the rear brake panel with the recessed hex on the inside, but the shouldered bolt that would go there can't clear the wheel hub. This bike had two similar bolts that only differed in length. I used the short one at the swingarm end and when I tried to install the panel end bolt, it wouldn't clear the wheel hub. It's possible that the shorter one would work at the panel, but the longer one wouldn't work properly at the swingarm. I guess I could remove the short one and test it at the panel, but my cotter pin is so nicely secured... :-/

Since I can't be sure the bolts in question that came on this bike are correct, can anyone say which part number is for the shorter one or the longer one?

I'm pretty sure the long bolt will work on the panel if I remove the axle bolt, drop the spacer away, pull the brake panel out, put the bolt in from the back, and put it all back together. I guess that's what I'll try tomorrow. Seems like a strange requirement to put that bolt in... Any other thoughts?
When I got back to my '61 Dream project today, I did so with an entire work week to ponder the differences that cause the offset between the surface of the brake hub tab and the tab on the swingarm. The difference I found today is that the distance from the inside surface of the swingarm, to the closest surface of the tab is 2" on the '61 (shown), and it is 2-1/8" on the '65. (see curvy red arrow) You can see the offset difference on the bolt (see straight red arrow). If I use the 61 swingarm, I'll have to put some washers on there to take up the offset, or use the '65 swingarm.

There doesn't seem to be any difference in the height of the brake hubs (measuring inboard to outboard) between the two model years, although they do look different in other ways.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but thought I would provide some observations on my particular bike build.
Attachments
brake hub bar offset 61.jpg
brake hub bar offset 61.jpg (21.79 KiB) Viewed 1704 times

1970 CT70, 1979 CB550
1999 ZG1000 Concours
1997 BMW R1100RT

primer63
honda305.com Member

Re: Brake hub to frame bar

Post by primer63 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 pm

primer63 wrote:

When I got back to my '61 Dream project today, I did so with an entire work week to ponder the differences that cause the offset between the surface of the brake hub tab and the tab on the swingarm. The difference I found today is that the distance from the inside surface of the swingarm, to the closest surface of the tab is 2" on the '61 (shown), and it is 2-1/8" on the '65. (see curvy red arrow) You can see the offset difference on the bolt (see straight red arrow). If I use the 61 swingarm, I'll have to put some washers on there to take up the offset, or use the '65 swingarm.

There doesn't seem to be any difference in the height of the brake hubs (measuring inboard to outboard) between the two model years, although they do look different in other ways.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but thought I would provide some observations on my particular bike build.
We'll after all that explanation with circles and arrows and an explanation about what it was (to paraphrase Arlo Guthrie in Alice's Restaurant) I discovered that I had attached the bar both upside down and backwards. The bar has a slight offset to it and once properly oriented, eliminated the gap and need for washers on the brake hub end.

1970 CT70, 1979 CB550
1999 ZG1000 Concours
1997 BMW R1100RT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home