Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

How to thoroughly clean a petcock ??

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
hillhudson
honda305.com Member

How to thoroughly clean a petcock ??

Post by hillhudson » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:59 pm

like most barn find bikes that i have come in contact with, the gas tank has been left with gas or a gas oil mixture for years, (my current bike was one of those when i first bought it) when this occurs it clogs up the petcock mighty well. when i rebuilt mine, it had sludge like you wouldn't believe just clogging the passages, the other day when i tore down my bike, i was emptying the gas from the tank and realized that the i wasn't getting a steady flow from both spouts when it was switched to the Reserve position, i had thought that the RES position wasn't working at one point and now this proves that i didn't do a good enough job cleaning it up. so my question is, how the hell do i totally clear these passages once and for all? i've tried soaking it in carb cleaner and using pipe cleaners, hasn't done the deed, still seems to have sludge blocking flow somewhere out of reach in the petcock.

thanks!

-hill
'65 s90
'64 ca95 dream
'65 cb160
'66 cb77

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:40 am

I use vinegar and water......see here
http://www.honda305.com/forums/carb-cle ... ht=vinegar
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Greggie-e
honda305.com Member

Post by Greggie-e » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I used carb cleaner, then gently blew some compressed air through the lines.

That cleared it right up!

Got to be careful though, you could break something if the blockage is severe, and you don't want to get that stuff in your eyes (although I seem to manage it every time)

hillhudson
honda305.com Member

Post by hillhudson » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:49 am

thanks guys! much appreciated, I already went the carb cleaner and compressed are rout. this thing was clogged Solid! on to the vinegar !!

cheers

-hill
'65 s90
'64 ca95 dream
'65 cb160
'66 cb77

metrorollah
honda305.com Member

Re: How to thoroughly clean a petcock ??

Post by metrorollah » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:06 pm

I would just replace it with one of these, my own design:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271018122754
hillhudson wrote:like most barn find bikes that i have come in contact with, the gas tank has been left with gas or a gas oil mixture for years, (my current bike was one of those when i first bought it) when this occurs it clogs up the petcock mighty well. when i rebuilt mine, it had sludge like you wouldn't believe just clogging the passages, the other day when i tore down my bike, i was emptying the gas from the tank and realized that the i wasn't getting a steady flow from both spouts when it was switched to the Reserve position, i had thought that the RES position wasn't working at one point and now this proves that i didn't do a good enough job cleaning it up. so my question is, how the hell do i totally clear these passages once and for all? i've tried soaking it in carb cleaner and using pipe cleaners, hasn't done the deed, still seems to have sludge blocking flow somewhere out of reach in the petcock.

thanks!

-hill
Attachments

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home