Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 CARB PROBLEMS

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
suzukid01
honda305.com Member

CA77 CARB PROBLEMS

Post by suzukid01 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:53 pm

I've done everything that I possibly could on this Dream 300? New Coil,Codenser,Points, Finally found solid core copper wires, Keyster carb kit, I moved the needle up 1 more notch like everybody says to do, And behold the engine starts for maybe 6 minutes and then the engine just slowly dies and cuts off. I take the plugs off I've must of done this a 100 times. And @#$% the plugs are black full of carbon.. What is the problem here I've done everything I possibly could on this bike am I overlooking r do I have to take the engine off the bike and rebuild it. I mean it only has 7000 miles on it. Some expert Info will be very very very Appreciative. Thanks

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 CARB PROBLEMS

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:02 am

Have you checked the compression? If not you may want to. How did you set the points? Have you adjusted the valves to .004?. ........lm
suzukid01 wrote:I've done everything that I possibly could on this Dream 300? New Coil,Codenser,Points, Finally found solid core copper wires, Keyster carb kit, I moved the needle up 1 more notch like everybody says to do, And behold the engine starts for maybe 6 minutes and then the engine just slowly dies and cuts off. I take the plugs off I've must of done this a 100 times. And @#$% the plugs are black full of carbon.. What is the problem here I've done everything I possibly could on this bike am I overlooking r do I have to take the engine off the bike and rebuild it. I mean it only has 7000 miles on it. Some expert Info will be very very very Appreciative. Thanks

CR93Dave
honda305.com Member

Post by CR93Dave » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:01 pm

Also another possibility is the fuel cap is not venting and causing a vacuum in the fuel tank.

CR93Dave

suzukid01
honda305.com Member

Post by suzukid01 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:59 pm

No I have'nt checked the compression yet I have to get a pressure gauge... As soon as I do I'll break the news... As for the points I gapped them as required in the book.. Seems I have a good spark after I clean the spark plugs the bike just starts right up no problem... I'll just keep chipping away at it. Info like this is much needed thanks for all the help I really like this forum.

suzukid01
honda305.com Member

Post by suzukid01 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Ok I got a compression gauge. I looked up in the shop manual and it says that the compression on the cylinders should be at 120.87 lb per square inch Standard. the repair Limit is 99.54 lb per square inch. So I checked it out took both spark plugs out and started on the right cylinder held the compression gauge into the spark plug hole and i hit the starter button to turn over the engine the compression on the right says that i have 120 lb or just slightly below 120 ok!!! Seems to have good compression. So i start on the other side the left side did the same held the compression gauge into the spark plug hole and turned over the engine the compression read pretty much the same 120 lb or slightly below it.. So it seems the compression of the pistons is good.. So know my question is WHY ARE THE SPARK PLUGS STILL GETTING BLACK???? HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME... THANKS.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:16 pm

Now check the points setting. .....................lm

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Suz, I can throw out some more ideas.1 It sounds like its running rich (fouled plugs) is the carb set up correct? Or,2 could be the ignition coil "breaking down" after it gets warmed up.3 I think i'd put some new plugs in that thing,once you "wash out" the plugs they just dont work well any more. My son and I drag race and that is a sure thing on our engines,we run both alky and gasoline,same thing with the plugs

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home