Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cracked Gas Tank

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
Glenardo
honda305.com Member

Post by Glenardo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for the replies, it helps. ( Also realizing how minor this is compared to so many problems I could be going through)

The tank was nearly full when it dropped so I think it was the added weight to cause it to split. The rubber mounts should help protect it from the potholes. I like the internal sealant idea, probably would work but if it didn't it would be alot harder to get it properly welded. Plus the inside is nearly spotless.

I know the right way is to get it welded/brazed/soldered. The tank paint is orginal and in decent shape( for a 51 year old bike). Hopefully someone can fix it up w/o damaging the paint too bad. I'm going to call a couple bike shops in the area tomorrow and stop by an old school radiator shop.

I'm just worried that if I get the tank repainted, I'll figure I might as well do the side covers, and if I'm painting the side covers I might as well do the the fenders, and then the forks, and then the frame and then, as long as I have the motor out.....

JSharpPhoto
honda305.com Member

Post by JSharpPhoto » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

a talented painter should be able to paint match the aged color and patina of the tank.

Glenardo
honda305.com Member

Post by Glenardo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

So I took it to a radiator shop who welded it up for $65, not the cheapest, but I didn't want to drive around town all day trying to find someone. He was apprehensive at first because of the fumes but he said he ended up just washing it out again w/ soap.

Didn't do too much paint damage, nothing worse than where the seat rubbed a few spots. I might just leave it for now, till I can find some close touch-up paint. Make it my "scar" to remind myself to take my time and do it right. It's going to be in the 70's here in LA this weekend and I wanna ride!!
Attachments
IMG_0250 (2).jpg
gas tank.JPG

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home