Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

PETCOCK REPAIR KITS

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
lrutt
honda305.com Member

RETROBIKES PETCOCK REBUILD KIT REVIEW

Post by lrutt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:57 pm

Just installed the kit this weekend. It is a very good kit for $16. Includes the crush washers for the 3 screws, new screen, gasket, Oring between petcock and tank, and both sets of rubbers for the petcock valve itself. Fit perfectly. As indicated before, I smeared a very thin layer of greas on both sides of the steel valve during assembly. It turns real easy, no leaks.

A great product, I highly recommend it.

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

petcocks

Post by joeweir1 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:40 pm

What kind of grease did you use. I smeared some grease on mine the first time around and it was smooth but ,it didn' last long for some reason.I also used the crush washers provided and gas leaked out around the screws so I put the originals back on and they did not keak. Maybe I did not crush the crush washers enough.I like to shut the petcock off to run the bowl low and the more I rode the harder it got.

jcmzhou
honda305.com Member

Post by jcmzhou » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:44 pm

i also bought a kit from retrobikes......does anyone know how the petcock comes apart......i don't want to break it....i know virtually nothing about motorcycles.....

is the 'x' looking clip on one side come out.....if so, how....looking at it....i don't see where the rubber pieces go..

jason

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:23 pm

After you have the petcock off the tank as you are looking at the X which are springs and a plate they are on and two holes in the plate.The whole plate lifts out of the petcock assy.They can be a bugger to get up out sometimes.The rubber piece will probably come out with it and you will see how everything is positioned then.Pretty simple set-up.

rbaselt
honda305.com Member

Post by rbaselt » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:12 pm

There is a clear, high temp, chemical-resistant silicone grease that works well on petcocks and gas tank cap gaskets. I found a tube at my local Ace Industrial Hardware for about $4.

jcmzhou
honda305.com Member

Post by jcmzhou » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:43 pm

i got my retrobike petcock rebuild kit for by 305....i have already torn the petcock apart and don't remember seeing two round rubber gaskets, where does the other one go, the one without the pipe looking thing sticking out of it....

does anyone have a drawing of the assembly or know where on the internet i can look at one????

jason

joeweir1
honda305.com Member

Post by joeweir1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:04 pm

The cork piece is replaced by the other rubber piece.Just pull the cork up out.You may need a small screwdriver or other small pick of sorts to get it up out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home