Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

carb problems

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
dreaming56
honda305.com Member

carb problems

Post by dreaming56 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi Guys, The Super hawk is finished and everything was going fine until I tried to start it, I have the nicest idle it just purrs. When I give the throttle a twist it dies, like it's not getting any fuel. I can get it to rev with the choke halfway open, as soon as you take it off it idles fine. I put the needles on the last position and checked the main jets. It will idle perfectly until you give it gas, Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

(!!serenity now!!serenity now!!)

Stan

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 am

Hi,

The superhawk is cold-blooded, maybe some patience ?

There are so many things to check, start with the most logical ones,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: carb problems

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:51 am

Are the slides in the correct carb and not reversed?
The flat bottom side goes toward the engine.
Jets should be 135 and 42.
Needle clip in the next to bottom.. ...................lm
dreaming56 wrote:Hi Guys, The Super hawk is finished and everything was going fine until I tried to start it, I have the nicest idle it just purrs. When I give the throttle a twist it dies, like it's not getting any fuel. I can get it to rev with the choke halfway open, as soon as you take it off it idles fine. I put the needles on the last position and checked the main jets. It will idle perfectly until you give it gas, Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

(!!serenity now!!serenity now!!)

Stan

dreaming56
honda305.com Member

Post by dreaming56 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks for the info, I'll take the carbs off once more. It is a bit frustrating but the bike has been a pain the whole restoration and I'm sure it will continue to be so.
Stan

dreaming56
honda305.com Member

Post by dreaming56 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:18 pm

OK,
So here's what happened. I could not figure out why it was not getting gas when you turned the throttle, so I had tubes running from the spigots on the head and I ran them to terminate under the bike. I really didn't know what they were for or where they were supposed to go, I plugged them off and the bikes revs. Can you tell me where they are supposed to go? I have all the restoration guides from this forum but nowhere in them do they explain it. I have a dream that has them and I know I have not plugged them off on it and it runs fine, even on my cb160 I ran that tube back and under the bike. Well I guess I shouldn't complain, I'll tie the two together and ride it for a while.

Stan

hefyjefy
honda305.com Member

Post by hefyjefy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:42 pm

There are two small pipes that run from the rear base of each cylinder I assume they are crankcase breathers? On mine they go to a Y piece and thence to the right aircleaner. On the bottom of each carb float chamber there are small spigots that look like they need pipes - (missing on mine) but I guess they are overflow/vents for the float chambers. One would suppose they might go to the other aircleaner? Anybody?
Geoff

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:52 pm

hefyjefy wrote:There are two small pipes that run from the rear base of each cylinder I assume they are crankcase breathers? On mine they go to a Y piece and thence to the right aircleaner. On the bottom of each carb float chamber there are small spigots that look like they need pipes - (missing on mine) but I guess they are overflow/vents for the float chambers. One would suppose they might go to the other aircleaner? Anybody?
Geoff
Crankcase breather is on top of the head, single large hose. Carb bowls didn't get any hoses from the factory.

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home