Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

PETCOCK REPAIR KITS

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
e3steve
h305 Moderator

Re: petcocks

Post by e3steve » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:59 am

joeweir1 wrote:What kind of grease did you use. I smeared some grease on mine the first time around and it was smooth but ,it didn' last long for some reason.I also used the crush washers provided and gas leaked out around the screws so I put the originals back on and they did not keak. Maybe I did not crush the crush washers enough.I like to shut the petcock off to run the bowl low and the more I rode the harder it got.
Oil-based grease will quickly be dissolved by the petrol; jcmzhou's idea of lithium grease appears to work, but my choice would be to use silicon grease, available from Radio Shack for you guys, I should think. I smear a coat on every electrical connection that could be exposed to moisture too. I've also smeared uninsulated DC connections (a bilge pump) before now, where they've been sumberged in seawater, with no cathodic electrolytic corrosion or other ill effects!
Last edited by e3steve on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

mutley
honda305.com Member

Post by mutley » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:48 am

Thanks Guy's, am going to try the Silicon Grease first and if that fails - it's the mower shut-off.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:51 am

Ah, you're in Oz; http://www.rs-components.com/full.html , click on Australia (sorry to be over-instructive), althought the entire rswww site is down for 'improvements' this weekend. The part nº is 494-124.
Last edited by e3steve on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

mutley
honda305.com Member

Post by mutley » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:37 am

Hey e3steve, thanks a million, overinstructive is better :)
I will be over near RS later this week and will pick up
a tube of silicone grease and will let you know how i go!
Tom

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 am

N'worries mate! BTW: Sorry guys, the link didn't work because the comma at the end got appended to it. It's OK now!

Oh, and....errr....the link to the North American sites delivers you to Allied Electronics where the part nº is completely different (probably something that can be attributed to those quaint, old-fashioned inches, 110V or 60Hz; let's continue to sing from a different hymn sheet then.....)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home