Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 1965 PW22 Re-jetting for sea level

Fuel System: Gas (Petrol) tanks, Carburators
4_0_6
honda305.com Member

CA77 1965 PW22 Re-jetting for sea level

Post by 4_0_6 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:34 pm

I have finally gotten my 1965 CA77 Dream 305 running reliably. It has been quite a process and I am learning these bikes are a little finicky. The bike has a PW22 carb. I live at an elevation of 4300 feet. Planning to take the bike to the Isle of Vashon TT ride on Vashon Island, WA. It is on the Puget Sound across the bay from Seattle. Bike is running well enough right now but I don't want to get there and not be able to ride it.

Carb is currently set up as follows:
All original components. Stock needle jet and seat. Throttle Valve is K2.0. Jet needle is 22401. Currently have the clip on the top groove. This is a 5 slot needle. Main Jet is K120. Pilot Jet is K35. I have the float set at 26.5mm measured from the cut out on the very edge of the carb housing (doesn't sound like anyone actually knows where to measure those from as I have read all the posts about it, hopefully I am good enough on the issue) Air screw is set within the range recommended by manual about 1 1/4 out give or take 1/8. I'm just running a small universal cone filter MOXI L1-39mm. https://www.ebay.com/itm/364661353272?v ... 5077de67d3
This filter just really makes getting the carb on and off very easy.

Hoping for some suggestions on what changes I might need to make when dropping from from my current home elevation of 4300 to be able to have it run well at sea level for the event. I need to order jets from my dealer and hopefully they will arrive in time.

Any ideas and help is appreciated.

sky.fred
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 1965 PW22 Re-jetting for sea level

Post by sky.fred » Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:31 am

I live at sea level but not far from the Pyrenees with passes up to 6500 feet and if every time I went into the mountains with a carburettor motorcycle I had to dismantle the carburettor, it would be hell..... because we pass several passes and go back down into the valleys several times a day.
I'm not saying that at very high altitudes there is no difference in behavior, but if your bike is tuned for 4300 feet, so there's no mechanical risk and in my opinion little influence at level 0, a difference of more or less two points on the jets.
If you're a perfectionist, the formula to use is : J2 = (D2/D1) X J1
D1 = original density
D2 = new density
J1 = original jet
J2 = new jet

below is a table of density factors

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home